In this edition of the Weekly Dispatch:
- AEMO Services has announced the successful projects from their first competitive tender with contracts awarded for 1,120 MW of solar PV, 275 MW of wind generation and a 50 MW 8-hour battery. Energy Insiders interviews Brad Hopkins on the results.
- Snowy Hydro has announced a delay for Snowy 2.0 with full commercial operations now expected in December 2029.
- AEMO published its Q1 2023 Quarterly Energy Dynamics report showing record distributed and utility scale VRE output. The report also notes the effects of gas and coal price caps on electricity spot and contract prices.
- Transmission access reform continues with a consultation paper from the Energy Security Board. The ESB is seeking feedback on its proposed hybrid model design including a priority access mechanism and a congestion relief market. Submissions are due by 26 May and the ESB will make final recommendations to Energy Ministers later this year.
- International podcasts of the week: Volts on taking full advantage of the Inflation Reduction Act, Redefining Energy on electricity market reform and Public Power Underground on the “mid-transition” (some important parallels in the NEM).
- Endgame is recruiting for interns. Contact us at email@example.com