The Weekly Dispatch is a new blog post series summarising the latest developments in the Australian and global energy markets. With so much happening across the sector we want to provide a quick digest of developments we come across during the week. In a given week this could include wholesale market events, news articles, blogs, regulatory developments, academic articles or podcasts.
- Liddell closure – Australia’s oldest coal-fired power station will close next week after 50 years of operation. Allan O’Neil wrote a WattClarity post in January looking at the plant’s decreasing reliability in recent years. Meanwhile, in Germany the last nuclear power plants are also shutting down.
- The AEC has written an excellent 2-part summary of the US Inflation Reduction Act. Where is Australia’s response?
- The AEMC has initiated two FCAS rule changes from grids proposing changes to how contingency FCAS costs are allocated and to require AEMO to trade-off enabling more contingency FCAS against curtailing generation or load to reduce the requirement.
- The Commonwealth Government has announced their National Electric Vehicle Strategy including fuel efficiency standards, support for charging infrastructure and incentives for EV uptake.
- Podcast of the week: Redefining Energy on how to monetise large scale batteries
- Endgame is recruiting for interns. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org