In this edition of the Weekly Dispatch:
- The Energy and Climate Change Ministerial Council meeting communique noted the recently released National Hydrogen Strategy consultation and support for the Guarantee of Origin scheme (funded in the 2023-24 Budget). Ministers also agreed to progress the Voluntary Congestion Relief Market; supported the implementation of the emissions objective in the NEO in October and noted NSW will continue development of the Orderly Exit Management Framework.
- The percentage of demand met by renewables hit 37% NEM-wide for the 2022-23 financial year, and 70% in SA. In another milestone, wind and solar generation exceeded fossil fuel generation in the EU for the first time in May.
- Nigeria has passed legislation creating state electricity markets.
- Joshua Rhodes estimates that renewables in ERCOT have reduced wholesale electricity costs by $31.5 billion between 2010-22. ERCOT has also introduced a new ancillary service.
- Transmission Impossible? The need for transmission in the US and the challenges of getting it built.
- Debate continues on EU electricity market design.
- Podcasts of the week: Cleaning Up interviews Fatih Birol; Columbia Energy Exchange on US offshore wind; Energy Insiders on weather extremes.