In this edition of the Weekly Dispatch:
- AEMO issued a direction in NSW to maintain power system security for the first time according to WattClarity. This is likely to become more frequent with increasing VRE and decommitment of thermal units as we noted in this recent submission for ENA.
- The NSW government has released an updated draft energy policy framework including draft maps of “suitable” sites for wind and solar development.
- AEMO published the 2023-24 summer readiness plan.
- Lynne Kiesling continues her series on addressing market failure. This week she posts on Elinor Ostrom’s work on how governance frameworks can solve common-pool resource problems.
- Reuters reports that Siemens Energy has secured a deal with the German government to provide guarantees worth 7.5 billion euros.
- Podcast of the week: Public Power Underground with Jacob Mays on dynamic price formation in wholesale electricity markets.